Friday, May 22, 2009

Just a short post today -- my nieces are visiting -- both are still teenagers -- and they LOVE the computer, so.........
I was thinking about how hard it is to get diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis. For about two years, I couldn't whistle. It drove me crazy -- couldn't call the dogs or horses -- couldn't "talk" like the birds -- couldn't mimic my favorite tune. My dentist and doc thought that I might have TMJ -- my x-rays showed deterioration of my jaw "joints". It finally got so irritating that my dentist sent me to an oral surgeon who felt of my cheeks and said that the muscle fibers had shortened -- he suspected Scleroderma. I KNEW what that was and I FREAKED. I was given an appointment with a general neuro in couple of months -- in the meantime, I did my own research. When I finally saw the neuro, I told him I "thought" that I might have MG -- he looked sceptical -- I did NOT have the tell-tale signs of a droopy eye OR double vision -- but, he ran the AChR blood tests anyway and set up an MRI. I was VERY lucky -- in a couple of weeks, my blood test came back -- POSITIVE -- and I started Mestinon. Many, many MGers wait for years -- seeing doctor after doctor after doctor -- before they get a diagnosis!!

No comments:

Post a Comment