Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Did I tell you that I have "babysitters"?? I suspect that MOST people who have Myasthenia Gravis are in the same boat -- *sigh*. Now, don't get me wrong -- I so appreciate that my family loves me -- that they worry about me -- that they don't want to see me come to harm. But, now that I am TRYING to get myself back into "shape" (per my neuro's "orders"), it seems like I am fighting an uphill battle -- the war between me and the "babysitters".

Perhaps I should explain. Every since Thanksgiving a couple of years ago, when I had a "breathing spell" and really, SERIOUSLY thought that I was going to die -- my entire family has been very, very protective. I am seldom left alone. Mom is with me during the days -- if she has to go somewhere, her baby sister comes over to watch me. My sister and BIL live next door to us -- they are part of the team, too. I just go about my "business" when I am being watched -- my hard-headed, "do what I want to" business. When I am IN exacerbation, I am the model "child" -- easy to "control" -- I don't "overdo" or stress my body if at all possible. But, right now, I am doing everything POSSIBLE to get myself back into shape. This is NOT a vanity thing -- I MUST recover as much muscle as possible between exacerbations. So, I am PUSHING myself -- BIG TIME. And, the "babysitters" are FRANTIC!!!! "Oh, don't you need to sit down and rest??" "You are doing WAY too much!!" "Let ME do that FOR you!!" And on, and on, and.....

They mean well -- but, now I feel like I have to fight with my reluctant BODY AND with all my loved ones!!! I keep on saying, "I KNOW when to stop and rest -- I PROMISE!!!"

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I was ever able to accept my diagnosis fully until I felt competent to manage my own care. I wish the same for you. You should try to explain this to your babysitters. I'm sure they are frantic, but you are experienced now. You will be fine.

    ReplyDelete